Keene ISD provides free pre-kindergarten to students that meet at least one the following eligibility criteria as outlined by the Texas Education Agency.
- A child who is four (4) years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year is eligible for a pre-kindergarten program if the child meets one of the qualifiers listed below:
- Unable to speak and comprehend the English language;
- Economically disadvantaged (qualifies for free or reduced lunches);
- Homeless (as defined by 42 United States Code (U.S.C.) Section 1143a);
- Child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty (must be on active duty the first day of school);
- Child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty;
- Child is, or ever has been, in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing. This also includes children who have been adopted or returned to their parents; or
- Child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code
Documentation of eligibility is required upon enrollment. Review the list below for the approved documentation required for each noted eligibility. To register your student for Pre-K, please visit the Enrollment and Registration page.